FOI and Subject Access Requests
Reports, reviews and responses to consultations
NPCC Spending
Gifts, Hospitality, Memberships and Media Contact
Meeting minutes
FOI and Subject Access Requests
FOI Disclosure Logs
NPCC FOI Performance Monitoring
Op Hydrant
Publication Scheme
Firearms and Explosives Licensing Minutes


We are committed to being open and accountable.

We publish a range of information including responses to Freedom of Information Requests and expenditure by the senior team.

Freedom of Information (FOI) Requests

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives a general right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities, sets out exemptions from that right and places a number of obligations on public authorities.

Any person who makes a request to a public authority for information must be informed whether the public authority holds that information and, subject to exemptions, must be supplied with that information. Individuals already have the right of access to information about themselves under the Data Protection Act 1998.

As far as public authorities are concerned, the Freedom of Information Act will extend this right to allow public access to all types of information held.

The NPCC are not lawfully permitted to amend a record after a Freedom of Information request has been made. This means that on occasion there will be protectively marked information released and published with redactions made by engaging the relevant exemptions the legislation permits.

Our FOI performance monitoring can be found here.

Requests for Information

If you do not find the information you are looking for, you can make a request for information to

Data Protection Requests

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to ask an organisation what information they might hold about you (your personal data) and provide you with a copy wherever possible. This is the right of Subject Access. But, some of your personal data can be withheld under certain circumstances. You can make a Subject Access request to see what, if any, of your personal data organisations hold and can disclose to you.

Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 states that a 'data subject' (you) is entitled upon written request, to be informed whether or not personal data are held or processed about them.

Subject Access is not a pre-employment vetting service. If you are asked by a prospective employer to confirm whether or not you have any convictions or cautions on your record, you should contact the Disclosure and Barring Service or Disclosure Scotlandfor the Disclosure Services that they provide.

Please remember that the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) is not a police force and does not investigate or record crime. It might therefore not hold and be able to provide you with the information that you need. The chief constable of each individual police force is responsible as Data Controller for the personal data of individuals in relation to alleged or actual criminal matters they hold on their own local systems or may upload onto national systems. The NPCC cannot amend or delete such information.

The following sections will hopefully guide you in using your right of Subject Access to ask for the information that you might require.

Asking for your information held by the NPCC

If you think that the NPCC might hold some information about you, and you would like to know what it is, then please complete and return this form.

by email to, or by post to:

NPCC Data Protection Officer
c/o NPCC
PO Box 662
PO14 9LQ

Asking for your personal data held on the Police National Computer including details of previous convictions

If you would like to know what information is held about you on the Police National Computer, the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) provides this service on behalf of the majority of police forces throughout England and Wales. You can get further information on how to apply for this information and what you can expect to receive by visiting the ACRO website.

It is important to note that ACRO provides this service on behalf of the majority of police forces, but is not responsible for any information held on the Police National Computer. If you receive information from Police National Computer that you want to query or challenge, you will need to contact the police force indicated on the printout as they are best placed to help you. ACRO cannot amend or delete information held on Police National Computer.

Asking for your non-conviction information held a local police force system

If you think that a local police force might hold information about you on their local systems, you can either contact the police force in person, or look on their website which will contain a standard form for you to complete and return. The form will contain full instructions. You can access the websites of all English and Welsh police forces on the ACRO website.

Police Certificates for travel or emigration to Australia, Belgium, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa of the United States of America.

If you are planning to travel or emigrate to any of these countries and need to provide the relevant High Commission or Embassy with confirmation of whether or not you have a criminal record, you will need to apply for a Police Certificate. You can get further information on how to apply for this information and what you can expect to receive by visiting the ACRO website.

Asking information from the NPCC

All previously published information from the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) is available here.


The NPCC became designated as a public authority under section 5(1)(a) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 on 22nd November 2018.