National Police Freedom of Information and Data Protection Unit (NPFDU)
The NPFDU acts as a national co-ordination body in providing professional advice and support for forces and stakeholders in all matters relating to both Freedom of Information and Data Protection within the UK police service.
National Police Freedom of Information and Data Protection Central Referral Unit Activities:
- Provide advice and support on Freedom of Information (FOI) and Data Protection(DP).
- Co-ordinate the strategic development of the FOI Act throughout the police service.
- Maintain and develop relationships with partner agencies, regulatory bodies and requestors at a national level.
- Produce and deliver FOI/DP training, workshops and professional development events.
- Manage intelligence in relation to the misuse of the legislation.
- Ensure National Policing leads are able to contribute to information disclosure.
- Attend national and regional (Information Management Coordination Committee) portfolio meetings.
- To research and provide professional FOI/DP advice for forces in consultation with National policing leads and other stakeholders.
- To discharge the responsibilities of the NPCC in responding to FOI requests submitted to the body.
- To discharge the responsibilities of the NPCC in responding to DP Subject Access requests submitted to the body.
- To provide secretarial support to the Chair of the National Policing FOI, DP and Records Management (RM) within the Information Management Portfolio.
- Attend and provide support & direction to Regional FOI/DP meetings.
- Represent UK Police forces at the National Security Liaison Group (NSLG).
- Exchange intelligence with stakeholders and other partner agencies.
- Deliver Annual Professional Development event (PDE) for FOI and DP managers, supervisors and practitioners.
- Deliver Annual FOI and DP National update workshops.